Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pumpkin Bread-A Fall Favorite



Fall is finally here, and it has brought cooler temperatures and a bit of a breeze back the area.  Very refreshing after a week of 90+ temperatures!  I know it's only temporary, as the forecast calls for a return to the 90s next week, but I'll take it while I can.  And to welcome the cooler air and the Autumn season, I baked up a batch of my mom's pumpkin bread.  This recipe comes together quickly and is a cinch to make.  It makes two full size loafs, so I had one to enjoy and one to share!



First, I gathered up all my ingredients.  I always to to get everything out beforehand, but I don't always remember.  It makes it so much easier when I have everything at my fingertips.  

Pumpkin Bread
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 16oz can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 2 loaf pans.  
In a large bowl, mix the first eight ingredients.  In another bowl, beat eggs, pumpkin, oil and applesauce until well blended.  Stir the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture until just blended.  Add in the raisins and walnuts if desired and divide evenly between loaf pans.
Bake 1 hour 15 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.  Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove to remove to cooling rack to cool completely.




No comments:

Post a Comment