Friday, June 3, 2011

Operation: Vanilla Extract

So, I've been seeing all over the internet about people making homemade vanilla extract.  And I thought, "Hey, I can do that!"

So I tracked down some vanilla beans on Amazon (they weren't expensive and had great reviews-I got them and when I opened them, I was not disappointed) and found a small bottle of vodka in my liquor stash.  It's Ukrainian vodka, which is actually called gorilka (горілка).  I don't know if it's left over from our time in Ukraine, or if it's a gift from a Ukrainian.  Either way, it wasn't going to get drunk, so this seemed as good a use as any.

Every mention I found on making homemade vanilla extract was pretty straight forward.  So here's what I did.  It's a small bottle of vodka, probably less than a fifth.  I took three vanilla beans and cut them down the middle and spread them open, then cut them into thirds.  And into the vodka they went.

That's it.  It should take a couple months to reach the point where it is usable, and today is only day 3.  So it will be a while.
Vanilla Beans from Olive Nation-ordered from Amazon


Right after I added the beans


And after 1 day-you can see it is already starting to darken at the bottom

I'll give it a chance to "brew" and update in a month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment